Identity politics and me


We live in a context where, identity-based politics has become the norm of the day. Various divides are being perpetuated using these identities, primarily for political and other gains. And all are in some way or other caught up in this, if not today, likely to be caught up tomorrow.

Identities based on people groups and caste is something we have grown up with as part of our life in our nation. This dates much before the idea of India, when we were multiple language and people groups-based kingdoms and communities, a history and culture deeply ingrained in us. Even the christian community that I am part of, which prides itself in its teaching of being caste-less, hold on to caste and people group identity.

The geography-based identity is yet another aspect of our life in India. The “Madrasi” or South India community vs the North, the North vs North Eastern communities, the pahadias vs the plains people, the rural vs the urban and many such other identities by which we label people.

The religion-based identity emerged as a major issue in and around the partition and independence struggle, a scar from which we are yet to recover, and one wonders whether we will ever recover?

Though all these were there, couple of decades back there was a feeling that we are slowly getting over some of divides based on these identities, at least in the communities I was part of. But the last decade or so, these identities and divides have become much more pronounced and visibly part of our public discourse.

Such discourses are leading to name calling, typecasting, labeling, scapegoating etc., and even to create laws and regulations. One wonders if it is primarily to to divide and rule for short-term political gains, or potentially a long-term agenda of something bigger and disturbing?

I am wondering if this is the direction that my nation takes, how shall I live tomorrow?

I have an identity with which I was born. South Indian and Malayalee which I am okay with it. I also have a so called ‘born religious identity’. In my state I am considered ‘high caste’ though I am a Christian, (unlike in North) because I am from the Syrian Christian family and roots! I am grateful for the background from which I have come from the various inputs into my life due to this identity, but there was always a confusion in my mind, early in my childhood. Am I religious because I was born in a christian family or should there be a spirituality that I can call mine own? The change happened when I experienced “spirituality” or a “relationship with God” in a personal way. I am religious or spiritual not because of my born identity but my experienced relationship. I am christian not because I was born a christian, but I have decided to live with a relationship to Christ.

I started to realize my friends whom I grew up with had no problem with my experienced spirituality but had problems with my born religiosity because the born religiosity made me a difficult person to live with but the life style of an experienced spirituality they found it better! The more I consider this today; I wonder if there was a way, we could live with experienced spirituality identity more than the born religious identity in our nation and respect each other for that experiences! That I leave for another blog.

Then there is an earned identity which I have. A professional, medical doctor, physician to be precise with may be added on some other skills I have or interests I have developed. Something which I have earned over time, but in one sense not really earned by given to me through the contexts and opportunities into which I was led!

And there is an adopted identity, which I think I have. Having been in North India for more than 30 plus years, one feels more North Indian than South Indian. But if you ask the local community which I interact with, I am sure they wouldn’t approve of this North Indian identity. They would see me as a South Indian, Christian (born) Doctor who is working in north India for some reason that they can’t put their finger on to! This is the perceived identity, perspectives with which others see me!  

But what is my identity? The born, the earned, the perceived or something else? I suppose all these three will be part of my identity, but what I really want to be seen as is, something more than these. (I call this my desired identity). I want to be known as an Indian, who has put his faith in Christ, but sees every other human regardless of faith or background, as created in the image of God. Someone who respects people of all caste creed or religion, for who and what they are. At the same time caring for them because, I feel I have been given so much opportunities in life. That I have been given something that I want to share with others! These are my desires, not to say that I am always true to this identity! Many a times my motives are not as true as it should be!

But the challenge I think I will face tomorrow is – very few will see me as I want them to see me! Many a time because my life doesn’t live it out, but other times because there is a perceived identity and a dominant direction to “label” and “box in people” based on certain identities!

The question I am struggling with is, if this identity-based politics takes root in our nation, how shall I live?

The born, the perceived and the earned ones I can’t give up – it will remain whatever I might do or wherever I might live! I cannot change it! But what I can change is my desired true identity. Make it more visible by the life I lead! 

One - to live out an experiencing spirituality of loving God and loving people regardless of caste, creed or religion and share my life and experiences with them. Two – to care for people out of a grateful heart, enjoy and celebrate the opportunity I have been given to care and give out. Three - to have the courage to stand with people who are being discriminated based on perceived and born identities and help each other see their "true desired identities" as more important!

Will I be able to live such a life, I wonder!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting and Wasting

Community our nation needs...

Weary of doing good