Contentment amid containment


It has been almost a week since the lock down and the steps taken for containment of the COVID19 was set in motion. I found it challenging, initially, to some extend even now! I was to have left the location where I was, to be with family, and was expected to meet up with the extended family and friends. I had 2 tickets booked, one on train and another on flight, making it sure that if one gets cancelled, I have an alternative option. But I never thought that all my doors will be closed, and I would not be able to move out. But that has happened. I am now slowly learning to be content in containment because I understand the bigger picture. I need to respect and support the nation and the steps the nation takes, till the storm passes over.

I have nothing much to complain about – since I live in a protected environment though in one of the most impoverished parts of our nation, with my basic needs well taken care of. A good house to stay, food more then enough to eat, social connections, both close at hand and through the social media. Also, just enough engagement to keep me fulfilled that I am contributing my little bit, at this point of time, when the world does not know what to do or what to expect.

As I listen to rest of the extended family, I realize that I am not the only one who had to face the cost of containment, each one had to. Most of them have slowly become content in finding a new lifestyle and pattern. The visits to the mall, the swiggy orders, the socializing all has been kept aside for another day, when things turn around and our nation feels it is the right time to return to normal. Yes, there are some minor difficulties, but most of them are content because they know they are part of a bigger picture and need. They do have their online social connections that keep them socializing.

I suppose by the time things turn around; we would have enjoyed another normal life that what was normal yesterday might look abnormal tomorrow!  The hope I have is, that I would have learnt some lessons through this enforced but needed containment.  That there is another lifestyle and way of life, which is better than what I followed for the last many decades.

But then I read about the many migrant laborers and their families, stuck at the closed state borders, the many who are walking along railways lines to reach their homes, because railways lines are open even at state borders. Most of them don’t understand what is happening. They do not have a job to do, they do not have their own house or friends nearby, their basic needs have been promised, but they are not sure if that will happen. For them it is much more comforting to be at home and their village, though it might take many days of walking. They want to be with their family and village till the storm passes over. 

I read also about how some of them were beaten up because they broke the orders of containment. I hear about people being brought to hospital because of physical trauma from containment actions. People from nearby villages talk about those who have traveled for days but are not allowed back into their villages because they are coming from cities potentially carrying the virus.

The barber who came to cut hair in our community talked about diminishing food reserves at home and the possibility that in a few days they may not have any food to eat. That he has no job since most of his clients are across the border. His shop is closed, no one is wanting him to go to their houses too. One story out of thousands of such similar stories if I have time or ways to listen!

Humanity has been brought to level over last few weeks. Whether it is the resource rich North or the resource poor South, all are facing the same virus and almost same uncertain future. The world may not be the same tomorrow for most nations.

But the cost of containment has not been the same. For me, I find contentment in the new life and lifestyle because I understand the why of it. But the many around me and on the roads and railway lines, they are still waiting for the contentment amid these containment actions.  And many may not see the why of what is happening around. Even if they do, the cost they must carry is much more than what I have carried!  

I suppose that is the inconvenience they must live with! I hope I will remain discontent internally till these people find contentment too! And explore ways I can mitigate a little bit of this inconvenience? 

India's Highways Filled With Poor Families Walking Home


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting and Wasting

Community our nation needs...

Weary of doing good