Learning from Ants

Solomon says in Proverbs, “You lazy fool, look at an ant. Watch it closely; let it teach you a thing or two. Nobody has to tell it what to do. All summer it stores up food; at harvest it stockpiles provisions.”


I took this literally, today morning. Following an army of ants on a colony and house shifting project. I did not see a project in charge or the multiple supervisors, we as humans need to get a task done. They were focused and on a such a fast pace, so that the pictures I took were blurred.

The journey was through a thin wire stretched over a pathway, potential for slipping and falling, even for ants. I saw an occasional one struggling to keep the grip tight! And they were carrying things larger their own size, and obstacles on the route tackled by climbing over or going around the same, but these obstacles never prevented them from their focus of helping each other to shift their colony.

In this journey, there were ants walking backwards helping one another to carry the load that was heavy! There were others who would make space and way so that they do not impede others on their journeys.

If God, the creator has given so much of sense to these insignificant creatures, how much more sense and wisdom should we as creation with Imago-Dei have! But Solomon probable did not find this around that is why he wrote “So how long are you going to laze around doing nothing? How long before you get out of bed? A nap here, a nap there, a day off here, a day off there, sit back, take it easy—do you know what comes next? Just this: You can look forward to a dirt-poor life, poverty your permanent houseguest!”

Our journeys too are over thin and stretched wires many times, with potential of falling. And as one goes on in life, we tend to rightfully reduce our speed, and start feeling the need for help to carry the load. Those of us who have journeyed ahead, will recognize the need to make space for others who are on their journeys to move ahead in life. But in the slowing down, needing help, making space, and helping each other, never to lose the focus! The focus on our journey together as families of multi-generational communities. Each running at his or her own pace but with support! Because none on us have the full know how! 

Like Paul says in his letter -    “I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for God, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends do not get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back”. This focus on our journey to God and His purposes for our lives, in the ocntexts where He has placed us....

 May be I should learn more from Ants and the nature around me!




 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting and Wasting

Community our nation needs...

Weary of doing good