Thought for Easter

Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: “I have seen the Lord!” And she told them that he had said these things to her.” John 20:18  

This is what I would like to be too. To go out and encourage each other with this news, I have seen the Lord, and tell each other what the Lord has been telling and teaching me. 

But this event of recognizing and hearing Jesus, “Jesus said to her, “Mary.” She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (Which means “Teacher”).” John 20:16, was preceded by a time of confusion and discouragement. Early in the morning while it was still dark Mary went to the tomb with certain expectations and found that, it was not to be. Her expectation of closed tomb, with a dead body inside, was replaced by a picture of an open tomb with nobody around. How like me, looking at Jesus through my expectations and places where He is not to be found!

Later disciples joined her, in her confusion and bewilderment. But in this season of confusion, they forgot what Jesus had told them. That three days He will rise again. Death is not the end. There will be a day, he will rise again. An amnesia of truth. 

The disciples decided to return to their homes, discouraged and confused. “Then the disciples went back to where they were staying.” John 20:10. A decision to wallow in their confusions and lack of clarity of events emerging around them. How like me at times. 

But Mary “…stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb” John 20:11. It was that decision, not to return home but tarry at the tomb though confused, that led to the rest of the events. The conversations with angels and Jesus appearing  to her. And then going out with joy declaring the truth that Jesus is alive. 

The choice before me is either to continue to wallow with questions and confusion and keep listening to my own voice, or tarry amid confusions and recognize the resurrected Jesus, who is standing beside me to give me clarity, courage, and joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting and Wasting

Community our nation needs...

Weary of doing good