Journey of a day...

Morning visit to the care program for people infected and affected by HIV, and other individuals from marginalized communities, was soul-uplifting, as it usually is. Listening to the women who were being empowered through a tailoring project was both challenging and encouraging. It was challenging to hear the struggles faced by some of these HIV-positive and other marginalized women. However, it was encouraging to see how the team had thought reflectively about what could make a difference in the lives of these women who had no other options. All of this was motivated by love for these people. Still, there was a worry looming in the background - with the changing context of our nation, would this demonstration of love and compassion continue into the future? After all, the program was founded by a faith-based organization. The team was troubled by the potential reactive responses from those in power in our nation - could it hamper the support to these lives? (Those who want the products made by these women, reach out)

Yet, my perspective shifted when I reflected on my own reaction to a person who had called me around that time, talking negatively about some of my friends. I had reacted impulsively, realizing soon enough that reactive responses were not solely others' problems; they were mine too.

I decided to change my course. Instead of going back home, to stay with a close family member and I chose to travel by Metro. However, the pollution levels were concerning, having exceeded 600 AQI. The horizon was nothing but a hazy blur. It was a recurring saga for Delhiites, a problem forgotten by many until it happens each year. Then, today the government machinery "reacted" into action. In the morning newspaper, a few temporary decisions were announced. But this was expected, as this smoggy pilgrimage was something we were expected to endure annually. I wondered, why not some reflective proactive preventive action? The answer remains elusive.

Late at night, around 11:30 PM, I had a sudden revelation. I remembered a forgotten act. I had left my car at the Metro station early in the morning, handing over the key and telling them I'd return at 4:00 PM. Various discussions occurred with friends, contemplating the worst and best scenarios, including the idea of driving the 30 km amid dense smog. Ultimately, I decided to wait until morning to see what would happen.

After a restless sleep filled with the worst-case scenarios playing in my mind, I arrived at the Metro parking lot at 7:00 AM, 30 km away. I couldn’t find my car where I had left it, and my heart skipped a beat. I asked the parking lot attendant, the same person I had spoken to the previous day, about my car. He reassured me, "Don’t worry, it’s here. All cars are always safe; that's our job." (Disclaimer: Those attempting similar action should do so at their own risk; the writer is not liable for any losses incurred). The reason for my action can be found in this blog. https://santhoshsramblings.blogspot.com/2023/08/gold-fish-memories-and-mediterranean.html

In that moment, I had a sudden realization and revelation - our nation is built by such people. People who take their small or big responsibilities to heart and live them out day after day. People who reflectively try to make a difference in the lives of those who are marginalized. And not by those who react and respond. Of course, there are some like me, who forget and need revelations, but are ultimately saved by those who go the extra mile to take care of people even in the face of foolish actions.

I wonder how my journey will be tomorrow? reactive, reflective or revealed? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting and Wasting

Community our nation needs...

Weary of doing good